Tuesday, May 3, 2016

May update, week 1

Well, needless to say we didn't move in on May 1st as planned, and we're certainly concerned with the building schedule, which originally showed that everything would be completed by now.  At this point there is still a lot to finish before we can move in, and we've been out of our house for one year now. There are structural things like posts in the basement and under the stairs, as well as the carport and basement walk out. At the start of the project we hired an engineering firm to review all the structural work and sign off on it, which now seems like a good idea since there are currently a lot of temporary supports holding up various bits and corners.

The flooring has been mostly installed and the good news is that it looks really nice. I wasn't sure how well I'd like it but I'm actually really pleased with how it turned out. However, the flooring installers accidentally put hardwood throughout the area meant for the tatami room, so they ran out of material to finish the front part of the house. We'll just make the best of it; the bright side is that there's now flooring through most of the house so it's closer to being complete. The tatami room platform and mats would've taken more time to build, but tatami mats are  something that we can add later after the dust settles.

We also got the kitchen cabinets delivered and the boxes are now put together and some of the cabinets hung. We went with IKEA cabinets because they're cost effective. We thought of installing custom doors on them, but decided due to time constraints to use their standard doors in birch and white.

The tiles were supposed to go down first because we bought enough to do the whole floor including under the cabinets. I'm not sure if that will be done now or if they'll just tile under the stove and fridge areas. The builder, Bramel Design and Build, prefers to put the cabinets on wooden plinths and finish them with wood instead of the cheap plastic legs and tie kicks that normally come with IKEA cabinets. That should make them a little more solid.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see the progress-- though it's slower than we'd all hoped 😀


The Top of the Slope

After a year-long hiatus I've been wanting to get back to this blog because a lot has happened in the meantime, and a lot of interesting...